The finished product!  I made two but the table is in the way!

I had some red curtains and I put them in my dining room.  I stepped back and realized that they were a weird length.  I wanted them to go all the way to the floor.  I decided to add some material to the bottom to make them longer and more fun!  As a beginner at sewing this was a little harder than I thought it was going to be so I thought I would share.  I think they turned out great!

Here is the before…

First thing I took my fabric and folded it in half.  That was going to be the bottom of the two different curtains once I cut it in two.  I measured how tall it was.

I measured the material and it was about 22 1/2 inches.   

I then measured the distance from the floor to the curtain while it was still hanging.  I want my curtains to skim the ground so I will probably do 11 inches.

Cut your fabric in two pieces for both curtains.  I am NOT a fan of measuring so I just decided that the size of the material cut in half would work for me!

I marked where I wanted to sew the material to the curtain with pins at 11 inches.

I then took the curtain to the iron and ironed a line in the curtain at 11 inches so that sewing would be easier later.

Take your material and iron down the raw edge at the top.
Pin the material to the curtain all along the ironed line.

This is what it should look like.

Flip it over so that you can see the back.

Now you are going to fold the edges over so that they match the curtain.

Fold both sides.

Fold down the material so that the raw edge is hidden.  I had to trim alot here.

Pin it to the curtain. 

Hem the bottom up.  Make sure it’s still 11 inches so that your curtain will skim the floor.

Hang it up to see if you like what you see….I do!

Stitch the material to the curtain.  I didn’t cut the curtain because I might not always have it this way.  So don’t encourage people to look at the back of the curtain!  haha

Now that you’re done with the first one…time for the second one.  Just repeat all of the steps.  The only difference it to make sure the lengths are the same.  I just hung them next to each other and marked the length with a pin before I went to hem it. 

Here they are together!

The finished product!